The Disaster Response Special Unit (D.R.S.U) was established by a decision of the Council of Ministers dated 29/10/1999. The Unit was operational on 02/04/2002.
It is based in Kofinou (Strategic site) so that it can respond to Cyprus.
- Search and rescue people after an earthquake, natural disaster or other catastrophic event.
- Rescues that require special equipment and training within the territory of the Republic of Cyprus.
- Help others Fire Stations following the instruction of the Director.
- Survey detection and rescue / recovery from a building that collapsed from a natural or other cause
- 'Aquatic Environment Recovery and Rescue / Survey Research'
- Search and identify missing persons
- Rescue from mountainous terrain (steep ravines) or other inaccessible places.
- Rescue from tall buildings.
- Response to rescue platform trapped hydrocarbons within the EEZ.
- Primary response tool for research and rescue, in accordance with the provisions of the National Plans Tefkros / Nearchos.