Cyprus Search & Rescue Region (SRR)
Contacting JRCC Larnaca
National SAR Plan
Cyprus Maritime Station
Cyprus Maritime Station
NAVTEX messages in force
NW Request Procedure
Emergency VHF Radio Call Procedure
VHF Channels Allocation
Cospas – Sarsat Programme
Air Force Command
Port & Marine Police
Police Aviation Unit
Disaster Response Special Unit (D.R.S.U)
Ministry of Health Ambulance Service Directorate
/ Cyprus Maritime Station / History
Γραφείο Επιτρόπου Προστασίας Δεδομένων Προσωπικού Χαρακτήρα
Wireless telegraphy, providing both transmission and reception facilities made its first appearance in Cyprus in 1933, when Larnaka-Radio was installed by ”Cable and Wireless Ltd” of Great Britain with the Call-Sign ZFE.
The station was operated formally for the first time on the 5th of
February 1934. It provided a ship-shore telegraph service and was also used as a stand-by route during submarine cable interruptions.
For the sake of historical accuracy it may be said that a wireless telegraphy station was installed temporarily in Limassol in 1932, pending the operation of the Larnaka-Radio. Furthermore, a British military wireless telegraphy station operated at the same time.
Towards the end of the 1940s the Larnaka wireless station’s receiving stations moved to Nicosia in the area of “Kolokoshi” and the transmitting stations in the area of “Saranta Spilea”.
The ship-shore service of Larnaka-Radio was renamed "Cyprus Radio" on 7th of March in 1951.
In addition, the Coast Station was extensively used to communicate with London in 1956, during the Suez crisis when the submarine cable between Cyprus and Alexandria was cut-off.
In 1961 the Cyprus Telecommunications Authority (CY.T.A.) takes over the Coast Station from “Cables and Wireless Ltd.”
During the same period, Cyprus becomes a member of the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) and CTO (Commonwealth Telecommunications Organization) where it is represented by Cyprus Telecommunications Authority (CYTA). The Call-Sign of the Coast Station was renamed to 5BA which remains until today.
After the Turkish invasion in the island the, Coast Station had been working in the area “Kokkines” next to the roundabout of Tseri in Nicosia until the 30th of June 2015.
According to the relevant decision of the Council members, the JRCC Larnaca has taken the responsibility of the Coastal Services of Cyprus Radio at its facilities in Larnaca, since the 30th of June 2015.
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Youtube
© 2020 Joint Rescue Coordination Center
Design and Development:
Department of Information Technology Services